7 sexual health issues facing teen girls globally — and how you can help http://buff.ly/29IdE8c
- Child marriage
- Female Genital Mutilation- to control a woman’s sexuality
- Rape, Sexual Violence, Human Trafficking
- Access to Menstrual Products
- Access to Prenatal Care
- Maternal Mortality
1. CHILD MARRIAGE:
- The Clock is Ticking. The Potential of a 12 year old girl (video) http://buff.ly/2aaoPnr
- End Child Marriage http://www.care.org/work/womens-empowerment/child-marriage
Women Deliver: 5 Barriers that keep girls from school
- Social, cultural factors
- Early marriage
- Cost of school
- Lack of toilets. Lack of menstrual supplies.
- Lack of competent female teachers/role models.
3. SEXUAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
- CARE.org Gender based violence kills and disables as many women ages 15- 44 as Cancer, Malaria, Traffic accidents and War combined.
U.S. Teen Pregnancy, Birth and Abortion Rates Reach the Lowest Levels in Almost Four Decades http://buff.ly/29R4sgs
What Is Behind the Declines in Teen Pregnancy Rates? LARC http://buff.ly/29FWFC8
The Divine Divas: Beauty and brains – pop-up salon educates African teens about reproductive health http://buff.ly/2aaVr0A
Ideo.org: Meet the Divine Divas http://buff.ly/29R5dpN
5: ACCESS TO MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS
Lunapads and One4Her foundation: LunaPads and One4Her
- Reusuable, washable menstrual pads allow girls to go to school.
6. ACCESS TO PRENATAL CARE
- Transportation, Skilled caregivers, Telemedicine
In Pakistan, Telemedicine Is Allowing Female Doctors To Return To Work http://buff.ly/2abgxMh
7. MATERNAL MORTALITY
Every Mother Counts Every Mother Counts
Addressing barriers to maternal health around the world.
- Transportation– to the health center or hospital.
- Education– Training skilled birth attendants. Skilled attendance at all births is considered to be the single most critical intervention for ensuring safe motherhood.
- Supplies– including electricity/lights for night time deliveries.
Seda’s Light | Every Mother Counts (video) http://buff.ly/29D3hxV
We Care Solar (Solar Suitcase brings electricity to hospitals) https://wecaresolar.org/
Rwanda’s blood-delivering drones to service 20 hospitals this summer http://buff.ly/2aaQxAL
In Rural Uganda, Homemade Bikes Make The Best Ambulances http://buff.ly/29FgZDW
BetterBirth | Ariadne Labs http://buff.ly/29FCDbc
Harvard program with Safe Childbirth Checklist called BetterBirth that optimizes its use in coordination with peer-to-peer coaching and data feedback to improve quality of care.
Major causes of maternal death:
- Obstructed labor
- Hypertensive disorders
Major causes of newborn death:
- Birth asphyxia
- Complications related to prematurity
- Barefoot College Barefoot College teaches women Solar Engineering Educates poor women in small rural villages without electricity to become solar engineers to help their community with solar power, solar heating (instead of kerosene and wood), solar water filtration systems.
- She by Barefoot College (video) http://buff.ly/29K5gnP
- Solar Sisters– https://www.solarsister.org/
Another cool NGO. A deliberately woman-centered direct sales network for clean energy solar to bring light, hope and opportunity to even the most remote communities in rural Africa.